How to Measure Your Dog
Just like us, dogs in every breed come in different sizes, and it is important to measure your dog correctly before ordering dog clothes, collars and harnesses online.
Measuring a dog is simple and takes only a few minutes. For most dog clothing and accessories you will only need measure the Girth and Length of your dog.
Gather your supplies
- Since you’ll be measuring the dog for clothing & accessories, you’ll need a measuring tape, pencil and paper. It may also help to have someone assist you holding the dog steady while you take the measurements. If you don't have a measuring tape then use a piece of string or something similar and then measure the length of string with a ruler.
- Have plenty of treats available that you can use to reward your dog and encourage him/her to hold still.
Groom your dog before measuring
- Remove the dog's collar and use a brush to smooth the fur around his neck. Brush the dog's back from the shoulders to the base of the tail. Smoothing all of the fur allows for an accurate measurement.
Measure the dog's Body Length
- Have the dog stand up for the measurement.
- Hold the end of a tape measure at the base of the dog's neck on the top of the back.
- Start approximately where the collar would fit. Pull the tape measure to the base of the tail. Record the measurement.
- This body length is the measurement size for many brands of dog T-shirts, sweaters, and other full-coverage dog clothes.
Measure the dog's Girth
- Get your dog to stand up so you can measure the circumference around his rib cage (the girth).
- Try to measure the widest part of the dog’s chest, which is generally located just behind the points of the elbow. Record the measurement.
- Ask a friend to feed your dog treats by holding the treat just above your dog’s nose. This will get your dog standing as tall as possible
Measure the dog's Neck
The neck measurement is taken around the base of the dogs neck where the collar would naturally sit. This measurement is used for fitted harneses, collars, Bandana's and some dog clothing.
Some clothing will require further measuring, especially if you are going to organise a custom made coat to fit your dog. You can use our Order Form to make it easier for requesting what you would like.
Neck Length - The neck length measurement is taken from the where the collar sits, up the neck to the base of the skull. This measurement is used for custom made coats with a turtle neck.
Waist – Measure around the dog’s belly behind the rib cage and in front of his hips.
Chest - Measure around the front of the dog from elbow to elbow.
Elbow to Elbow - Measure over your dogs back from elbow to elbow. Refer to image above. This measurement is handy for custom made coats.
Compare Measurements and Size
- Once you've found a coat or accessory you like, look at the sizing guidelines or size chart. You should be able to find a range of measurements that corresponds to a specific size. Check their sizes against the girth, neck and length measurements you took of your dog.
- Some coats will even include sizing charts that list breeds that are typically that size. Since all dogs are individuals, the actual measurements are probably more reliable than simply going by breed.
Download PDF of How to Measure Your Dog